Tertiary Education in Malaysia
Definition of Tertiary Education
Tertiary education, also known as post-secondary education, is taken to include undergraduate and postgraduate education. Tertiary education generally culminates in the receipt of certificates, diplomas, or academic degrees. Colleges, universities, institutes of technology and polytechnics are the main institutions that provide tertiary education.
Types of Tertiary Institutions in Malaysia
In Malaysia, tertiary education is the responsibility of the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE). There are two groups that provide higher education in Malaysia:
- Public institutions – public universities, polytechnics, community colleges and teacher training institutes.
- Private institutions – private universities, private university colleges, foreign university branch campuses and private colleges.
There are currently 20 public universities, 40 private universities, 5 foreign university branch campuses and about 500 private colleges offering a wide variety of courses.
Quality of Malaysian Institutes of Higher Learning
Institutions of higher learning in Malaysia are governed by the relevant ministry, quality assurance agency (MQA) and various acts (The main legislation governing education is the Education Act of 1996). Through these agencies, the government hopes to achieve its vision of making Malaysia a centre of educational excellence.
Academic staff in Malaysian universities has Masters and Phd from high ranking universities all over the world. English is the medium of instruction at all the private learning institutions as well as most of the public institutions. Students at Malaysian universities and colleges attend lectures, tutorials, seminars, as well as conducting independent research in libraries or laboratories.
Private Universities and University Colleges
- Awarding their own degree qualifications
- Awarding internal certificates and diplomas
- Conducting foreign university collaboration degree programs (degree conferred by foreign universities)
- Preparing students for external professional examinations
Foreign University Branch Campuses
- Awarding degree from foreign host university